Friday, March 20, 2009

My Race Strategy & Predictions For Condura Half-Marathon

As part of the BR’s Speed Training at the ULTRA Oval Track, each member who is joining a weekend road race must be able to run 75% of the road distance he/she has to race at Best Effort or 100%-110% Lactate Threshold at least two (2) days before race day. This is followed with a 30-minute slow jog, we call as “active recovery” run, at 70% of one’s Best Effort or Lactate Threshold on the day before the race. And every runner must be relaxed, stretched, fully-massaged, hydrated, and carbo-loaded on the day before the race. Each runner is advised to sleep early on the night before the race, at least, an 8-hour of sleep is the ideal sleep duration. The speed workout two days before the race, which is a “must”, and the 30-minute “active recovery” run on the day before the race are the “secret” weapons of those runners attending the Team BR’s speed training. This is the reason why our runners keep on improving their PR best times in every race they participate. Prediction #1—Team BR members will again register another record in their PRs in this race! I suggest, you keep in pace with these runners or make them as your “targets” and for sure, you will get a PR, too!

We usually do this speed workout on Friday afternoon but because of the invitation of Jinoe aka Manokan Express/takbo.ph and my intention to join his Carboloading Party with other runners joining the Condura Run this evening, I scheduled my speed training earlier this morning. I arrived at the ULTRA Oval Track at 5:40 AM and I saw Mari of Team Bald Runner (Professional Group) about to finish his 75% speed run and Amado aka Reinier 6666 who is also about to finish his racewalking workout. After a warm-up jog around the track for 3 laps and stretching, I started my 15.75 Km run at my Best Effort. Last week, as my preparation for the “Run For Your Lives” 10K Run, I did a 7.5 Km run and I finished it with an average speed of 4:33 minutes. As a result of the race last Sunday, I registered the same average speed with that of my speed run two days before the race despite those hills inside McKinley Hill Area. After running for 15.75 kms this morning, my GF 305 registered a time of 1:14+ hours with an average pace of 4:48 minutes per kilometer. Basing from this result, I am sure I will be able to improve my time for the Condura Run from that of last December’s Patakbo Sa Kabundukan Half-Marathon where I finished in 1:45:40 hours with an average pace of 4:56 minutes per kilometer. Prediction #2-–Using my past speed runs’ average pace with the results of the actual road race, which are the same, I could see another improvement of my finish time in the Condura Run with the hope that I could sustain the average pace of 4:48 minutes per kilometer. So, I will be happy if you will make me as your “target” in this race but if you will be faster and intend to be infront of me, I’ll be happy also to consider you as my “target”!

On race strategy for the Half-Marathon. There are only three (3) options to select—you could be very fast on the first half (10K) and try to hang on up to finish and become slower in the last half; or you could be conservative on the first half (10K) with slower pace and increasing your pace on the last half up to the finish line; or lastly, maintain an even pace from the start up to the finish. Depending on your training/preparation and the level of competitive condition of your body, you can select one of these options stated.

Now, let us go with my race strategy for the race. In my past speed runs and 10K road races, I have the tendency to be very fast on the first half of the race and try to hang on with a slightly slower pace up to the finish line. The culprit for this kind of strategy is my tendency not to be observant on the data registered on my GF 305 watch. Simply said, I don’t look at my watch not until I start to slow down on the 2nd half of the race. However, in longer races, like in 15K, 20K, Half-Marathon, 25K, and Marathon races, I have the tendency to be conservative on the 1st half of the race and try to maintain a pre-programmed average pace by constantly looking at my watch every kilometer, making sure that I would not be running at a slower pace. If I still have the strength on the 2nd half, I try to increase my pace and attain 110% Total Effort. This race strategy had been very effective for me in road races with distances of more than 10K. So, if you see me running at an average pace of 5:00 minutes per kilometer on the 1st few kilometers of the race and you would pass/overtake me, it is okey with me because I have to maintain my race strategy.

Let us consider the terrain of the route, on the first half, the first uphill is the Kalayaan Flyover going to Buendia/Gil Puyat and then at the uphill-approach towards the Skyway. On the second half, the uphill portion of the route starts from the crossing Ayala Avenue all the way to the Kalayaan Flyover. This is what I will do to conquer these uphill climbs along the route. After running a conservative pace for about 1 1/2 kilometers, the Kalayaan Flyover will be there infront of me. I’ll just take an average pace of 5:00-5:15 minutes per kilometer going up the flyover and making sure to increase my pace from its peak and going down along Buendia and maitain a “cruising pace” of 4:50-minute per kilometer up to the approach of the Skyway. Going up to the Skyway would slow me down to 5:20 pace and I would be able to bring back my “cruising pace” of 4:45-4:50 pace along the Skyway. The big problem now will be the slight and gradual increase of uphill from crossing Ayala to the Kalayaan Flyover. I am sure this will slow down my pace plus the fact that the sun will start to rise on the horizon. I should be able to maintain my average pace below the 5:00-minute pace while running along this part of the route. From the downhill portion of the Kalayaan Flyover to the Finish Line would be a easy run for me and for everybody.

Instead of using my NIKE Lunaracer, I’ll consider using my Newtons for this race. My tight compression shorts and Bataan 102 Race Shirt will be my running attire for this race. I am expecting that more of the Bataan 102 “Warriors” will be wearing their race shirts during this run. I need to take one (1) GU Roctane before the start of the race and take another one at the halfway turn-around point. This, more expensive sports gel, works well with me since I started using it in my last year’s San Francisco Marathon and my ultramarathon distance runs. I need to hydrate myself every water station and I am confident that I will not be wearing my hydraton belt on this race. I know, the Race Organizers (Patrick & Ton Concepcion) and the Race Director (Rudy Biscocho) are “perfectionists” on the safety and welfare of the participants in this road race. I know that the runners will not be “sandwiched” with any vehicle along the route because the route of the race will be entirely closed from any vehicular traffic. In summary, Abundant water + No vehicles along race route = More focused running by the participants. Prediction #3—So far, this will be the best Half-Marathon and Road Race for this year and runners would compare this event to other road races in the past and in the future.

Did I miss anything? If there is none, then, I am wishing everybody…Good luck, have fun, and be sure to wake up early and be at the starting line before 5:00 AM on Sunday. See you at the Starting Line!

No comments:

Post a Comment