Saturday, March 21, 2009

Tess Geddes: The Pinay Desert Ultramarathoner


To celebrate this March as the Women’s Month, I would like to pay tribute to this Filipino Woman who is, I am sure, unknown to us but in the world of multi-day ultramarathon races, she is very popular.

During the brief stay of Ben Gaetos in the country, he mentioned to me of a Pinay Ultramarathoner who is based in the Middle East and I was surprised to receive an e-mail from her through Ben immediately after Ben arrived in the USA and that was the start of our regular exchanges of e-mails for the past weeks. I really wanted her to spread the news among her friends and team mates in her ultramarathon adventures about the 1st Bataan Death March 102K Ultramarathon Race Event, and my way of inviting her to join the event in the future. Ben Gaetos also sent her e-mails about his experience with his participation in our Midnight To Sunrise and “Test” Runs for the Bataan 102K Ultramarathon.

The following is her story why she was lured to ultra running and presently loves the challenge of the ultramarathon:

“I started running 10 years ago when I turned 40. I quickly got hooked on doing races, starting with 10k’s, then half marathons and marathons. I loved having a goal, training for it and then achieving it. To this day, I live by my trainer’s motto: Dream big and go for it!

I suppose it was this desire to push myself beyond my physical and mental limits that led me to do my first desert ultra, the Sahara Race in Egypt in September 2005, a 7-day, 250km foot race. Racers had to be self sufficient and we carried everything we needed in our backpack. My pack weighed 10kgs. It was very TOUGH!! Temperatures exceeded 50C, everyday. In fact, the organizers had to move our start times forward by Day 3 so we weren’t in the heat for as long. It was then that I realized the resilience of the human body and how it can take much more stress than we could ever imagine. Needless to say, I survived, minus a few toenails. I also fell in love with the desert and it made me want to go back. It’s hard to explain and I put it down to my brain having been fried by the heat, so now, like Ben said, perhaps I’m in need of psychiatric treatment.

That was almost 4 years ago, and since then I have done the following:

Desafio Al Desierto, Argentina (April 2006, 3-day stage, 100kms)

Atacama Crossing, Chile (July 2006, 7-day stage, 250kms) - DNF due to injury, had to quit on Day 4

Libyan Challenge, Libya (February 2007, non-stop 190kms)

Desert R.A.T.S., Utah (June 2007, 6 day stage, 250kms)

Libyan Challenge , Libya (February 2008, non-stop 190kms)

And now, my next big adventure: the Marathon des Sables in Morocco from 29th March to 4th April.

The Marathon des Sables or “Marathon of Sands” is a 7-day, 250 km (150mile) stage foot race and is considered to be the toughest race on earth. Competitors have to be self-sufficient, so we have to carry our own food, sleeping bag/mat, medical kit, plus compulsory gear, etc. for a week. The only things provided by the organisers are water and a space in an 8-man berber tent (if you’re thinking North Face zipup tents that protect you from the elements, think again These tents are open on two sides and offer little protection in a sandstorm). Temperatures will go up to and sometimes exceed 120F (48C).

This year there are 850 competitors with 39 countries represented including the Philippines, with ages ranging from 16-71.

And guess what? I’m the only racer from the Philippines!”


Tess Geddes, by this time, is already in transit to Marrakech, Morocco for her one week stay in the desert to acclimatize herself before the start of the Marathon Des Sables (MDS).

If you have the time to send her a message during the race, please leave a message of encouragement for her at www.darbaroud.com/index_uk.php. Such message shall be read by the Race Director infront of all the competitors every 8:00 PM. She will be wearing Race Bib # 821. Let us cheer and support her with our simple message.

Tess, we are proud of you. Good luck and be safe always!

No comments:

Post a Comment