Thursday, March 19, 2009

Running Clinic @ NAMRIA






1:30 PM 17 March 2009 @ National Mapping and Resource Information Authority (NAMRIA)

It was last January of this year when Jay aka BroJ verbally requested me for the Team Bald Runner to conduct a running clinic among the members of their office’s running club and to their staff & employees. After a few weeks, I received and e-mail with the e-copy of the letter of request signed by their boss, Undersecretary Diony A Ventura, who is a retired General of the PC/PNP and member of PMA Class 1967. It was followed with the hardcopy of the said letter of request in a few days.

I immediately approved the request and the scheduled date and NAMRIA had lined up the running clinic as part of the office’s national celebration of the Women’s Month of March. The running clinic was part of the scheduled “Fitness Day” for 17 March 2009 and the activity has an objective “to provide knowledge to their employees on the basics of running as a physical activity and to help create awareness on the need for a healthy lifestyle”.

Upon my entry to their compound (infront of the Philippine Army Gymnasium, across Lawton Avenue), I was received as a VIP by their guards and led me to a spacious lecture hall with at least 50 persons assembled for the running clinic in the presence of John Fabic, Bro J, George and the rest of the staff. The program immediately started with an opening remarks and introduction about me from George aka Fuerza Armada. The people from NAMRIA and the organizers of the program/event made their research about me as I was introduced properly as a former military officer with my past positions and as a runner-blogger with my past exposure in ultramarathon, marathon and lesser distance races.

My lecture was concentrated on the basics of running, benefits of running, principles of training, and “tips” and suggestions in order to enjoy an injury-proof training in running. My lecture was followed with the lectures of Major Ferdie Espejo to answer the question of the “How” in running and the actual demonstration from MSgt Satur Salazar on the proper form of running. Proper warm-up, stretching exercises and drills were demonstarted by the two IAAF Level IV-trained Coaches to the audience. The lectures and demonstrations were followed with an Open Forum and questions were asked by the audience. More “tips” about injuries, nutrition and training for the marathon were clearly explained to the participants.

My staff and I were surprised that NAMRIA, as the Host was well-prepared and fully-funded for the event. During the closing program of the event, each of us were given a framed Certificate of Appreciation signed by Undersecretary Diony Ventura, loot bag full of “goodies”, a basket full of fresh fruits and calendars of the office. I discovered that one of the calendars being distributed by their office is an exact replica of the First Published Map of the Phlippines which was cartographically compiled by Spanish Priest Father Pedro Murillo Velarde in 1734 with a Calendar which is good for 200 years. I was able to find out that I was born on a Friday, 56 years ago.

After the closing program, the members of the NAMRIA Running Club donated a bagful of Finisher’s T-Shirts from Road Races for my Project Donate A Shirt. A group picture was taken before we ended the activity.

In behalf of my staff/coaches, I would like to extend my thanks for the warm accommodation and support of the office in our advocacy to spread awareness about proper running to the members of the NAMRIA Running Club, to its staff and employees, and most especially to Undersecretary Diony Ventura. Mabuhay po kayong lahat at Salamat!

Note: This is the 4th Edition of BR’s FREE Corporate Running Clinic.

No comments:

Post a Comment